While there are quite a few foods that we strongly suggest are not consumed while wearing braces, such as raw vegetables, popcorn, nuts, corn on the cob, pretzels, sticky or hard candy, there are also a lot of foods that you can easily enjoy that are softer and easier to enjoy. We have added a few ideas here along with the recipes. We hope you give them a try and look for other delicious and healthy recipes too.
Smoothies make a quick, delicious and soft meal or snack! You can add pretty much anything to them so you can get almost all your food groups in one delicious, healthy, and easy to sip meal. Try out this recipe from Martha Stewart.
Hearty Fruit and Oat Smoothie by Martha Stewart
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 1 sliced banana
- 1/4 cup raw almonds
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup low-fat vanilla yogurt
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
Directions: Toss into the blender, then enjoy!
Sloppy Joe’s is another great option when you want to add some protein to the diet. Here is a quick and easy recipe from Allrecipes! Add a side of mashed potatoes for a soft and filling meal!
Sloppy Joes II (by Allrecipes)
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 3 teaspoons brown sugar
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, brown the ground beef, onion, and green pepper; drain off liquids.
- Stir in the garlic powder, mustard, ketchup, and brown sugar; mix thoroughly. Reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
SmileOn Orthodontics in Cedar Park, TX wants to ensure you have a great experience with your braces and beyond. If you ever have any questions or concerns, always feel free to give us a call at (512) 337-2325.